Phase Identifier Report approval

Dear Colleagues,

Some time ago I circulated a draft of the final report of the Working
Group on a Crystallographic Phase Idenfier which everyone signed on to,
though Vicky Karen, after consultation with her colleagues, came back
with some suggestions relating to the Parthe-Gelato method of
normalizing the Wyckoff sequence.  In repsonse to these comments, I
modified the text to make it clear that Parthe and Gelato's non-stndard
choice of the unit cell did not affect the proposed identifier other
than ensuring a reproduceable Wyckoff sequence.  That is, the only
change that was needed to the report was in the descriptive text, not in
the structure of the identifier itself.  Since circulating the new
wording, five of our members have indicated their approval, and since
all the other members signed off on the earlier draft, I am assuming
that they also approve of the current version.  Unless I receive any
objections during the next seven days, I will forward the report to the
Chair of the Commission on Crystallographic Nomenclature over the names
of all members of the Working Group as our final report.  The report
will then be circulated to the Commission members for comment and
approval, after which (if it is not returned to us for correction) it
will be published in Acta Cryst. and on the IUCr web site.

Best wishes

David Brown
Chair of working group

PhaseIDReportDraft4.rtf

begin:vcard
fn:I.David Brown
n:Brown;I.David
org:McMaster University;Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research
adr:;;King St. W;Hamilton;Ontario;L8S 4M1;Canada
email;internet:idbrown@mcmaster.ca
title:Professor Emeritus
tel;work:+905 525 9140 x 24710
tel;fax:+905 521 2773