Re: Parsing of comments in BNC definition

  • Subject: Re: Parsing of comments in BNC definition
  • From: Brian McMahon <bm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:00:36 GMT
James

This query has by chance arisen simultaneously in another context. My
guidance in such matters is the Star_Base application from Perth. If I
build an example file with your suggested block header (including a possible
value for the possible data item, i.e.
             data_block#53 _a_data_item x
) and run sb -r data_block#53 on the file (a request to Star_Base to return
all content in the nominated data block), I obtain:

sb -r data_block#53 foo.jrh
(i)   Command line request:
(i)   data_block#53
(i)   Input files are :
(i)   foo.jrh
(i)   Input from:
(i)   foo.jrh
(i)   Starting Parser for STAR File.
(i)   End of input.
(i)   Input from:
(i)   /usr/tmp/aaaa19241
(i)   End of input.
data_block#53
_a_data_item            x

So the intention seems pretty clearly NOT to see the # as introducing white
space in this context.

The BNF needs to be carefully revised to accommodate this.

Regards
Brian