RE: Parsing of comments in BNC definition

  • Subject: RE: Parsing of comments in BNC definition
  • From: Nick Spadaccini <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 01:37:56 GMT
On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Bollinger, John Clayton wrote:

> [James Hester wrote:]
> > > The beginning of a file would have to have honorary 'terminate'
> > > status, otherwise a hash as first character in the file
> > wouldn't count
> > > as a comment.

I will cover this case with a prose explanation in the BNF.

> Here's another complication I just noticed: in the current BNF,
> whitespace is permitted only within the context of a data block
> production.  That's a fairly minor detail, but it does mean that no
> whitespace of any kind can be present in a CIF without any data block.
> I don't think that is the correct behavior; it is certainly not
> consistent with the canonical results included with Brian's ciftest
> suite.

Yes, this means a file devoid of any data blocks, a legitimate CIF file,
can't contain comments.

> It appears that this could be corrected by moving the <wspace>* from
> the beginning of the <data_block> production to the beginning of the
> <CIF_file> production.  The <data_block> production already handles

This is where I should have placed my correction in the first place. I put
it with the <data_block> production so the first data block could be
preceded by a comment. As you note I should have put it in the <CIF_file>
production.

I will make these changes now.

cheers

Nick

Dr Nick Spadaccini
Department of Computer Science &            voice: +(61 8) 9380 3452
Software Engineering                          fax: +(61 8) 9380 1089
University of Western Australia
CRAWLEY, Perth,  WA  6009                  email: nick@cs.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                                 w3: www.cs.uwa.edu.au/~nick