Re: CIF parser / dialects

  • Subject: Re: CIF parser / dialects
  • From: Brian McMahon <bm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:49:01 +0100 (BST)
I agree with James' approach: since you cannot sensibly oblige people to use
a specific piece of software, people will in any case write their own
parsers. (That is not to deny that robust and reliable off-the-shelf parsers
would be helpful for folks who don't want to roll their own.)

Indeed, what is required is an extensive set of trip tests that could be
used as the basis for self-certification of a parser. It turns out that
no two existing CIF parsers agree completely on the handling of some of the
more subtle syntax features. For some time a working group within COMCIFS
has been trying to nail down the ambiguities and subtleties, and I shall in
a separate message introduce to the list the current draft of the
specification for community review.

I am sure that the final version of this specification, when adopted and
ratified by COMCIFS, will require new trip files to test parsers for full
compliance, and I shall welcome help in assembling such a suite in due
course.

Best wishes
Brian McMahon                                             tel: +44 1244 342878
Research and Development Officer                          fax: +44 1244 314888
International Union of Crystallography                  e-mail:  bm@iucr.org
5 Abbey Square, Chester CH1 2HU, England                         bm@iucr.ac.uk