Cif dictionary version numbers

  • Subject: Cif dictionary version numbers
  • From: Matthew Towler <towler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:53:06 +0100
Hi

I just downloaded the latest versions of the DDL1 dictionaries that are
distributed with enCIFer (www.ccdc.cam.ac.uk) from the URL Brian
provided viz.

ftp://ftp.iucr.org/pub/cifdics/cifdic

Then as a double check tried validating them against the ddl_core.dic
(from the same site).  What I found was that cif_ms.dic, cif_rho.dic,
cif_pd.dic and cif_core.dic all give the same validation error.  In
encifer this is:

"Data value is not a correctly formatted number: _dictionary_version"

According to ddl_core.dic the _type of _dictionary_version is numb.  1.0
and 1.1 are valid numbers but 1.0.1 and 2.3.1 are not, at least by my
understanding of the definition of a number in the CIF 1.1 specification.
This could be a serious issue if some computer program attempted to
compare dictionaries by converting the value of _dictionary_version to a
number.

So my question is, should the dictionary versions that do not meet the
dictionary specification be changed so that they do? i.e.

1.0.1 -> 1.1
2.3.1 -> 2.4

Matthew