Re: PyCifRW new version

Dear James,

You indicated in one of your emails that you would like to continue your
involvement with the CIF project.  I have not forgotten your wish (nor
have I forgotten that I have your program on my computer, but not yet
tried out - I have been quite busy lately).  At this stage there does
not seem to be much to do in the way of software development apart from
the work you have already done.  The first priority in turning starDDL
into DDL3 depends on Nick, Syd and John Westbrook.  Until the final form
of DDL3 is clear, there is not much point in preparing programs since
there are some substantive issues, particularly related to the merging
of dictionaries, that have to be addressed.  However, I am hoping to tap
into your resources when the time comes, and in the meantime I hope you
will keep in touch with what is going on through the COMCIFS discussion
list run out of the IUCr office.  Any suggestions you have on any CIF
topic will be very welcome.

I gather you plan to return to Austrailia where it will be easier for
you to keep in touch with Nick and maybe help in designing the final
verions of DDL3.  After that we will have to prepare a coreCIF3
dictionary (a dictionary written in DDL3) and this will be the time when
validating programs will be most useful.

Best wishes

David
begin:vcard
fn:I.David Brown
n:Brown;I.David
org:McMaster University;Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research
adr:;;King St. W;Hamilton;Ontario;L8S 4M1;Canada
email;internet:idbrown@mcmaster.ca
title:Professor Emeritus
tel;work:+905 525 9140 x 24710
tel;fax:+905 521 2773