Re: Expanding category key for publ_author.name

Dear All,

It has taken me rather a long time (as usual) to get back to this. I am not sure in which direction Simon has landed, as initially it looks like (1) was preferred as being less disruptive, but the final paragraph seems to be a wish for auto-generation of keys as per option (2).  Option (2) would be disruptive only insofar as CIF *writers* who were aware of the new key would no longer feel the need to disambiguate author names by some device, and CIF readers who relied on whatever ad-hoc device is used would get confused - but that is true of both options.  Software that was unaware of the the new data name would continue to be unaware until updated, and function precisely as it has in the past.

Herbert - if we use ORCID ID, we cannot autogenerate it for legacy CIFs and we cannot assume that all authors will have one.

Anyway, thanks for the input. This topic will now be picked up again at https://github.com/COMCIFS/cif_core/issues/103 and then presented to the core dictionary management group, if anybody wants to follow along.

Picking up on Simon's comments, we could separately think about a completely revamped approach to authors, including allowing multiple addresses (email and real world) and multiple roles (another topic that has come up in the past). I will raise that comment as an issue on Github so as not to lose sight of it.

all the best,
James.