Re: mmCIF specification

  • Subject: Re: mmCIF specification
  • From: James Hester via cif-developers <cif-developers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2020 16:12:16 +1000
  • Cc: James Hester <jamesrhester@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025;h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=w2svfJxzljuyYsOmcZuPPP44Rg9c/lAS8OPSy8CgAOI=;b=tfmntJvPcqxPBpXZHC1KzT8uTRKBAiYuMCyNqMk73VtkPy8+WgM5Yeds08CpSH3WnpGV9/ux0F6SQgnNgd+8wlI0V9ukMJEqLBHHIIbWPoMP9xrHquGAEHzAm21oKwh98m0HW54xcp5Uvwr8Wmxb/SNdryRLwT0vDoRdwKLE0qlISJwvNdC4Ukfweql/kXP9DtpAvu9enKjsGix0ZYGFlESbLnRklFAqaSXb2cV3X9amK4FZu+x17qOSPNawZhCSgrCqo5xY6IbeQ8tQCfnDDZ+e+JnCUHf8PzcorZfWCQa4weqW5oUJmWC3j627KO8QKGfU8z9at+dmhhgPGnYPwA==
Hi Marcin,

I can't speak to the mmCIF question, perhaps you could ask that on a wwPDB developer's forum.

About the unmerged reflections, I think you mean something like _diffrn_refln.id? DIFFRN_REFLN was always intended to record the original measured reflections before merging (and in modern times the individual spots after integration). I think we need _diffrn_refln.id, but it would mean that diffrn_refln_[h,k,l] no longer become the unique identifier for the loop (of course it never should have been even in the days of point detectors). If anybody has written software that assumes that these datanames form a key it would cause incompatibility. However, I think almost nobody ever reads diffrn_refln_[hkl] as nobody writes it. A quick poll: do any developers on this list do anything (read/write) with _diffrn_refln_h,k,l?

One way forward is to simply define _diffrn_refln.id as a key. Software that expects h,k,l will fail if they are missing (if any such software exists), and succeed if h,k,l are unique. If h,k,l are not unique such software would have failed anyway.  A gentler way forward is to define a DDLm extension dictionary to cif core that expands the looped categories to parallel those in mmCIF.

James.