Re: [Cif2-encoding] Fundamental source of disagreement

Dear Colleagues,

   James presents an interesting view, but one that, with respect to
text encodings is without support in fact.

   HTML may have begun as a markup languages, but it has become one
of the most important standards for interchange of documents we
have and is, in the current XHTML form, an important dialect of
XML.

  We all seem to agree that XML is an interchange standard, and
that CIF1 is an interchange standard.

   Now let us look at what is and is not, in fact optional in all
three, beginning with encodings and beginning with XML and its
pious hope to avoid having optional features:

   For our reference on XML let us confine our attention to the XML-5
document at

   http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/

and ignore any deviations from that standard that have arisen in
practice.  The point at issue is, of course, having optional alternative
in character encodings, on which the document says:

"The mechanism for encoding character code points into bit patterns may
vary from entity to entity. All XML processors MUST accept the UTF-8 and
UTF-16 encodings of Unicode [Unicode]; the mechanisms for signaling which
of the two is in use, or for bringing other encodings into play, are
discussed later, in 4.3.3 Character Encoding in Entities."

and let us count a few of the optional features in that document:

   Section 3:  "optional white space"
   Section 3.2:  "At user option, an XML processor MAY issue a warning when
a declaration mentions an element type for which no declaration is
provided, but this is not an error."
   Section 3.2.1:  "An element type has element content when elements of
that type MUST contain only child elements (no character data), optionally
separated by white space"
   Section 4.6: "the double escaping here is OPTIONAL but harmless"

There are many more in the document.  Yes, the document expresses the
design goal (i.e. pious hope) that "#

"The number of optional features in XML is to be kept to the absolute
minimum, ideally zero."

but the fact is that XML has many options, including the option of
being expressed in a wide range of character encodings.  Lest anyone
think this an abberation, please note the highly complex optional
behavior of XML with respect to DTDs and the various "non-normative"
practices at the end of the document.

For XML, the standard specifies many options.

For HTML we are all aware of how many optional features and encodings
there are, even more than with XML.  There is an effort of tighten
this up in XHTML with strict conformance.

As for CIF1, I recommen reading the specification, which was written
to allow writing of CIFs as text dociments on a wide range of computers
with a with range of character encodings (incuding even EBCDIC).  Just
to pick one obvious example of optional behavior -- look at the
stripping of optional blanks at the ends of lines.

Once again, with all due respect to the adherents to goal of not
having any options -- the interchange specifications that are working
and in common use have options (including for encodings) and the
well-established practice of liberal readers and strict writers.
Those are the facts, and, while it is fine for each of us to form
our own opions, it is not viable for each of us to create our
own facts.

Regards,
   Herbert