Re: [Cif2-encoding] [ddlm-group] options/text vs binary/end-of-line. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .

I agree that CIF1 is not *defined* as ASCII-only, and I have no wish
to push for any redefinition.  I am stating that CIF1 is used by the
community *as if* it were ASCII-only. When speculating about the
community response to CIF2, the actual community response to the CIF1
standard is a perfectly reasonable starting point.

Are you suggesting that a CIF1 application that accepts only ASCII
encoding is not standards conformant?  Because all that I am asserting
is that useful CIF1 programs that support non-ASCII encodings are
either rare or non-existent, despite being allowed by the standard.  I
see no hint of non-standards-conforming programs in this description.