Re: [Cif2-encoding] How we wrap this up

Now to the substance of John's argument, which he also attributes to
James:

"I will not support an alternative that fails to make UTF-8 a universally
supported character encoding for  CIF, and it seems clear that James will
not, either."

To me it seems the key to this position is "universally supported" which
would seem to imply that there be full documentation and software to allow
CIF users to work within that context.  The practicality of that position
comes down to the IUCr and the PDB working out workflows and the necessary
support infrastructure to get the entire small and macromlecular CIF
community to make the transition.  Do the IUCr journal operation and the
PDB have plans and a realistic timeline to do this?  If not, then are CIF2
and dREL to wait on the sidelines until then?  If so, may we please see
them to get a sense of when the transition could happen?

I suspect we are 90% of the way to where we need to be, but in the same
sense as 90% is used in the old saw:  The first 90% of the effort takes
the first 90% of the time, and the last 10% of the effort takes the last
90% of the time.  But I may be wrong.  Let's see the plans for the
proposed transition for the IUCr journal operation and the PDB, dealing
with both core CIF and mmCIF in a UTF8 CIF2 world.

Regards,
   Herbert