Re: [Cif2-encoding] How we wrap this up

Dear Herb,

On Monday, September 27, 2010 5:19 PM, Herbert J. Bernstein wrote:

> I hope the rest of you will have the
>courtesy to participate in a Skype meeting.  Perhaps no new facts
>or logic will come to light.  Perhaps something will come to light
>that leads to better common understanding and concensus.  We'll never know
>unless we try.  I for one think that most of us are open minded and
>willing to try to reach an accomodation that serves the community well.

I apologize for any discourtesy you perceive, and I assure you that none is intended.  At the same time, I am confident that the opportunities for careful consideration, research, and revision inherent in the written form and extended time frame of our discussion to date have already afforded all of us ample opportunity to communicate our positions, to explore each others', and to attempt to reach a consensus compromise.

I have no general objection to conference calls or face-to-face meetings as forums for discussion, and I have participated in many of both.  I do not, however, see anything to be gained by moving this discussion to such a venue at this point.  How will there be anything other than more of the "endless repetition" of positions you so deplore?  What topic do you wish to discuss that we have not already covered in detail?  If there is such a topic then we can save the discussion for a call, but it will go better if we all have the opportunity to prepare.

As for being "open minded and willing to try to reach an accomodation that serves the community well," I point to the record of our discussion.  If my efforts to find such an accommodation are not plainly evident, if my attempts to understand the various positions and viewpoints are not clearly visible, and if my willingness to consider alternative approaches is not a matter of record, then I shall have to accept your insinuation.  I deeply regret that I have left that impression on you.

Regards,

John
--
John C. Bollinger, Ph.D.