Procedural matters; consultants

Dear COMCIFS members and consultants

Working on the legal premise of 'silence gives consent', we must conclude that
there is general acceptance of David's proposed method of moderated discussion.
However, there have been some remarks to the effect that this will hamper free
and easy discussion on occasion; and I suggest that we be prepared to exercise
flexibility on this. Certainly, all new items for discussion might profitably
go to me (or David), as we can attempt to coordinate various activities in an
efficient way; but it may be that new items advertised on the agenda will
naturally spark off a committee-wide discussion if they have evident general
interest. Let's try this, and see how it goes.

Two items of news:

Howard Flack has come aboard as a Consultant (welcome, Howard!) and will be
included on this distribution list. His e-mail address is flack@scsun.unige.ch.

George Sheldrick has asked for the following information to be circulated
(note especially the change of e-mail address):

> All emails to me about cif matters should be addressed to
> gsheldr@shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de  On the same machine I have set up an
> account "cif" (i.e. cif@shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de) with password "syd" so
> that larger files can be transmitted using ftp.
> ftp (and telnet) are extremely slow at this end, but reach almost
> useable speed when it is the middle of the night (or Sunday) here.
> It is an IBM RS/6000 and the default shell is the Korn shell (/bin/ksh).  If
> you ftp a file to cif it is a good idea to email me at gsheldr to warn me.
> Please do not use ibm.gwdg.de because it is one of the (IBM3090) dinosaurs
> about to suffer from extinction ( and it's behaving very strangely of late ).
>
> Best wishes to all the Committee,
> George

Regards
Brian