(58) pdCIF categories; pdCIF minutiae; mmCIF remarks

  • To: COMCIFS@iucr.ac.uk
  • Subject: (58) pdCIF categories; pdCIF minutiae; mmCIF remarks
  • From: bm
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 15:15:37 GMT
Dear Colleagues

This circular contains comments on the powder and mmCIF dictionaries from
Syd Hall, and some small points relating to the pd dictionary from the
Acta staff. I am trying to keep up the momentum on these reviews!

D56.2 Categories in pdCIF
-------------------------

S> All in all I am most impressed by the effort that has gone into the
S> definitions, they are detailed and clear. But [some] matters
S> are of fundamental importance...and the category assignations
S> in particular must be assessed carefully to avoid long term problems.

S> I note that the _category names do not correspond to the data
S>     names in that group. e.g.
S>
S> data_pd_meas_number_of_points
S>     _name                      '_pd_meas_number_of_points'
S>     _category                    pd_meas_method
S>     _type                        numb
S>     _enumeration_range           1:
S>     _definition
S> ;              The total number of points in the measured
S>                diffractogram.
S> ;
S>
S> data_pd_meas_datetime_initiated
S>     _name                      '_pd_meas_datetime_initiated'
S>     _category                    pd_meas_method
S>
S>
S>    Has this matter been OK'd in the past? If so, I think that the
S>    conversion of this dictionary to DDL2 is going to be very difficult.
S>    See also below.
S ...>
S>      I return to the category naming conventions.  These serve to
S>      designate which items reside in the same lists or loops. Judging
S>      from the wide use of categories pd_data and pd_instr, this
S>      function has been abandoned?
S>
S>      E.g.
S> data_pd_proc_d_spacing
S>     _name                      '_pd_proc_d_spacing'
S>     _category                    pd_data
S>     _type                        numb
S>
S> data_pd_meas_counts_
S>     loop_ _name                '_pd_meas_counts_total'
S>                                '_pd_meas_counts_background'
S>                                '_pd_meas_counts_container'
S>                                '_pd_meas_counts_monitor'
S>     _category                    pd_data
S>     _type                        numb

I believe that the practice followed here (and commented upon in earlier
circulars) is permissible, and allows for a more flexible data structure
than is available under DDL2. However, it does indeed make a migration to
DDL2 more difficult. Is it necessary for COMCIFS to rule on whether such a
migration will in future be imposed on pdCIF and other dictionaries
currently in preparation under DDL1.4?

D57.1 E.s.d. -> s.u.
--------------------

Howard Flack indicated that he thought my suggested rewordings were
appropriate, and so I've posted a modified dictionary (version 0.993)
that includes these changes.

D58.1 Enumeration constraints on various pd items

S> I am a bit puzzled by the enumeration constraints on some values.
S>     E.g.
S> data_pd_meas_angle_
S>     loop_ _name                '_pd_meas_angle_chi'
S>                                '_pd_meas_angle_omega'
S>                                '_pd_meas_angle_phi'
S>                                '_pd_meas_angle_2theta'
S>     _category                    pd_data
S>     _type                        numb
S>     _list                        both
S>     _enumeration_range           -180.0:360.0
S>
S>      If one is going to permit positive and negative values....why not
S>      a full circle in both directions? E.g.
S>
S>     _enumeration_range           -360.0:360.0
S>
S>      Surely some geometry will allow for this in the future.
S>
S> Why not negative values for _pd_meas_rocking_angle?
S>
S> May one assume that the shapes in this definition are the only
S>      ones permitted in the future?
S> data_pd_spec_shape
S>     _name                      '_pd_spec_shape'
S>     _category                    pd_spec
S>     _type                        char
S>     loop_ _enumeration           cylinder
S>                                  flat_sheet
S>                                  irregular
S>     _definition
S> ;              A description code of the specimen shape.
S> ;

D58.2 Example for _pd_calib_conversion_eqn

S> An example is really needed for this definition:
S>
S> data_pd_calib_conversion_eqn
S>     _name                      '_pd_calib_conversion_eqn'
S>     _category                    pd_instr
S>     _type                        char
S>     _definition
S> ;              The calibration function to convert a channel number
S>                supplied in _pd_meas_detector_id for a position sensitive
S>                or energy dispersive detector or the distance supplied in
S>                _pd_meas_distance_value to Q, energy, angle...
S>                Use _pd_calib_std_external_* to define a pointer
S>                to the file or data block containing the information used
S>                to define this function.
S> ;

D58.3 Systematic data naming
----------------------------

S> I would have thought that the data names....
S>                                '_pd_proc_intensity_calc_bkg'
S>                                '_pd_proc_intensity_fix_bkg'
S> would be more systematic as...
S>                                '_pd_proc_intensity_bkg_calc'
S>                                '_pd_proc_intensity_bkg_fix'

D58.4 R factor nomenclature
---------------------------

My Acta colleagues point out that the symbol for the Bragg R factor should
be R~B~ and not R~b~ (see J. Appl. Cryst. (1982) 15, 357-359); this is also
the nomenclature used in the core dictionary. Acta also uses R~exp~ instead
of R~e~ for the expected R factor, and "exp" seems more expressive than "e"
here. I've made both these changes in version 0.993. Other symbols for R
factors are in accordance with the JAC note.

D58.5 Name in example
---------------------

We also spotted that "Lachlan Cranswick" should be "Cranswick, Lachlan" in
the example for _pd_meas_[pd].

D58.6 General remarks on mmCIF
------------------------------

S> The organisation of this data ... represents a true "tour de force" on the
S> subject.
S>
S> Some minor matters that I am sure have been picked up by others.
S>
S> (1) The use of "esd" is unfortunate but probably easily changeable
S>     without causing delay. In fact a global change of "_esd" to
S>     "_su" may even suffice. I don't consider this a critical
S>     matter.....but to introduce names with "esd" is probably
S>     unwise at a time when the IUCr has agreed to go over to "su".
S>
S> (2) I have always been puzzled by the enumeration
S>
S>      loop_
S>     _item_range.maximum
S>     _item_range.minimum            .    0.0
S>                                   0.0   0.0
S>
S>     I am sure that there is a simple explanation....just what is it?

As I understand it, the occurrence of the same value in both
_item_range.minimum and _item_range.maximum indicates that the value itself
is within the eunumeration range, i.e. it's an inclusive range.

S> My only other comment is really for the future and not pertinent
S> to this review. It is that clearly we must at the earliest opportunity
S> separate out the core definitions from the mmcif dictionary. This will
S> mean of course that there needs to be a DDL2 core dictionary but that
S> seems logical and has several obvious advantages over the amalgamation
S> that we currently have.
S>
S> Paula and her colleagues have done a mighty job with this dictionary
S> and are to be well and truly congratulated.

Regards
Brian