(85) Terms of reference; powder DMG; new comcifs-l discussion list

  • To: comcifs@iucr.org
  • Subject: (85) Terms of reference; powder DMG; new comcifs-l discussion list
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 15:59:06 +0100 (BST)
Dear Colleagues

This should be the last COMCIFS circular ever, if all goes well (see D85.2
below). It is not intended, however, to indicate the demise of COMCIFS -
quite the contrary!

D79.1 Report to the IUCr Executive Committee
At its meeting in Arlington this summer, the Executive Commitee received
the formal Report and proposed new Terms of Reference for COMCIFS. No
objections were raised, and the Terms of Reference may therefore be considered
as active, subject to formal and final approval by the Executive Committee.
They are published at http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/cif/comcifs/terms.html.

D85.1 Approval of membership of Dictionary Maintenance Group
Brian Toby has proposed the following slate of candidates for the Dictionary
Management Group with responsibility for developing the powder dictionary:

        Brian Toby <Brian.Toby@NIST.gov>
        Lachlan M. D. Cranswick <l.cranswick@dl.ac.uk>
        Bob Von Dreele <vondreele@popler.lansce.lanl.gov>
        Andy Fitch <fitch@esrf.fr>
        John Faber <faber@icdd.com>
        Thomas Degen <Thomas.Degen@axr-alm.ie.philips.com>
        Juan Rodriguez-Carvajal <juan@bali.saclay.cea.fr>

This proposed membership will be considered as formally approved by COMCIFS
unless active objections are raised. Business will be conducted through the
restricted pddmg list (pddmg@iucr.org) that will be archived and indexed at
http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/lists/pddmg/ . The COMCIFS Chair and
Corresponding Secretary will be added to the list ex officio. I shall work
with Brian Toby on implementing this new list in the near future.

D85.2 Transfer of COMCIFS business discussions to list mode
The discussion list comcifs-l@iucr.org has been established for all future
COMCIFS business. This will allow timely and active discussions, and will
reduce the impact of massive contributions thudding into your mailboxes! I
shall send out the first topics for discussion in the near future.

How it works:

All COMCIFS members, consultants and auditors have been entered as SUBSCRIBERS
to this list.
  * Subscribers receive all mailings to the group, and may post contributions.
  * No-one who is not a subscriber may post to the list (but anyone is
    welcome to send me contributions which I shall forward to the list at
    my own discretion).
  * Subscribers must always post with the same originating address in the
    header of their messages. (If you find that you are unable to post, it
    may be because your mail header has a "From" address different from the
    one I have entered for you - please contact me direct if this appears
    to be a problem.)

To start a new discussion topic, post to comcifs-l@iucr.org.
  * Note comcifs-l, not comcifs !
  * Make the Subject: line of your message as informative as possible about
    the topic you are discussing.
  * Restrict the content of your message to that topic. If you wish to make
    several disparate contributions, send several messages, each on one
    topic.

To respond to a message
  * Use your mail program's Reply-To feature if available;
  * Otherwise enter in the Subject: line
       "Subject: Re: (the exact contents of the original Subject: line)"
    - i.e. replace the stuff in parentheses with the original topic.

The discussion will be archived at http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/lists/comcifs-l/
  * The archive contains a structured thread index, a date index and a
    search facility (this last is very useful!)
  * The archive is publicly visible - be aware that all our discussions will
    be open for community review. Do not circulate confidential material by
    this route!
  * The archive may be viewed from your nearest IUCr mirror site.
  * Each message page has options for replying to the message (this works
    only for subscribers to the list) or to the list owner (this allows anyone
    to provide feedback to and through me). Test this facility with care -
    it doesn't always behave properly in setting up the return address and
    Subject: line, especially if older browser software is used.
  * Examples of how this works can be seen in practice at
    http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/lists/

I look forward to many interesting discussions through this new medium.

With best wishes
Brian