Planning of a computing school Sienna (Florence-2005)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <compcomm-l@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Planning of a computing school Sienna (Florence-2005)
  • From: spea@chem.uu.nl (a.l.spek)
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:26:25 GMT
Dear Members of the IUCr Computing Commission,

Preliminary investigations concerning the feasability to organise
a computing school prior to the Florence-2005 IUCr meeting resulted in
the following proposal by our colleages in Siena (see below).

Please comment whether you think that this offer suites our needs.
All other ideas welcome.

Ton Spek

Chairman IUCr-computing commissiion

Dear Prof. Spek,
	sorry for the late replay. As Carlo Mealli told you, we shall be
happy to cooperate with IUCr, in the case that your commission feels useful
to have a Computing School in Siena or another Italian site, just before the
Florence meeting.

	Please know that in Siena there is an old monastery, now used for small
meeting and schools. The place (Pontignano) is in Chianti, eight km from
the town, 5-6 km from the main University buildings. There are a few
lecture rooms, already equipped with some PC and the necessary connections;
the number of computers might be increased, anyway. In the site, there is
no modern, up-dated computing room with several working stations and
hyper-velocity connections.
	Therefore, the main drawbacks for Pontignano derive from the beauty
of the site, and they are its being not just in the University center,
and poorly equipped for a computing school.

	I have enquired about the lodge possibilities. In the time slot Aug.
18-23, 2005, there are available:
18 twin-beds rooms	at	103 euro per room (two people), full board per day
20 single room       at     62   "             one          "
4  double-bed rooms  at     103  "             two          "
Something more (e.g., 200 euro per day) should be allotted for general
expenses (lecture rooms, etc.).
	So, the average cost (full board) would be close to 60-70 euro per day,
per person. Maximal number of guests would be close to 60.

	I hope that this information may help you in the next planning of the
school. In affirmative case, we would need an early reservation of the site
(say before June 2003).

	Waiting to hear from you, best wishes
Marcello Mellini

--
# Prof. Dr. A.L.Spek, Laboratory of Crystal and Structural Chemistry       #