satellite meeting IUCr Conf. 2005

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <compcomm-l@iucr.org>
  • Subject: satellite meeting IUCr Conf. 2005
  • From: "Alessandro F. Gualtieri" <alex@unimore.it>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 11:05:37 GMT
Dear all,

as I have anticipated, yesterday some members of the Italian
crystallographic community,
including me and Davide Viterbo, met Bill Duax, president of the IUCr for
an update on the
organization of the IUCr Conference in Florence on 2005.
I have basically presented what I have reported you in my last e-mail. Bill
supports the idea
of a satellite school of Crystallographic Computing prior to the conference
(18-22 august).
He also remarked that we don't have to forget the topics for the
microsymposia within the
conference. He expects us to make proposals as soon as possible!
I have also spoken to Stefano Mangani and Marcello Mellini (the proposed
local organizers
for the Satellite school in Pontignano close to Siena) attending the
meeting. We realized
there are no computers available in Pontignano but there is an equipped
computing room
at the chemistry department in Siena (about 10 min away from Pontignano).
We figured out a possible daily plan of the school:
Morning: theoretical sessions at Pontignano.
Lunch in Pontignano.
Bus to pick up students and teachers to Siena.
Afternoon: practical computing sessions at the chemistry Dept.
Dinner in Siena.
Bus back to Pontignano at 11.00 pm.
Good night!

At some point we should get decisions done because, in case, we need to
book the site in
Pontignano not later than next summer. It is a marvellous place and it is
fully booked years in advance.

cheers

Alessandro