Message from Simon Parsons

This is a message from Simon Parsons who couldn't get through directly:

Dear All-

sorry for the late reply - I was snowed under last week preparing for
another school!

My feeling is that 1-2 days is rather too short for a computing school,
and 3 days is really an absolute minimum.  I'm not sure that I would worry
so much about access to computers...get people to bring laptops.
Do we need to cater both for windows and linux though?
Web access might be necessary.

Several program systems are mentioned...is there any intention to include
these in the hands on session? Some are commercial - are limited licences
available for these?  Perhaps we should stick to free software, as this is
more about programming methods and access to a compiler is going to be
more appropriate.  Under these conditions it may actually be better to get
people to use their own compilers & computers -ie what they're used to.

Interfacing with databases might also be included in the list of subjects.

Finally, can I back DJW up and recommend Richard Cooper. He's a star.

David, maybe we sould chat about the school further at Durham.
Simon

Simon Parsons
School of Chemistry
The University of Edinburgh
King's Buildings
West Mains Road
Edinburgh, Scotland
EH9 3JJ
0131 650 5804
Group web site: http://www.crystal.chem.ed.ac.uk

# Prof. Dr. A.L.Spek, Laboratory of Crystal and Structural Chemistry       #
# Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research, Utrecht University.            #
# (Kruytgebouw, room N801), Padualaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht, The Netherlands. #
# E-mail: a.l.spek@chem.uu.nl       http://www.cryst.chem.uu.nl/           #
#                                   http://www.cryst.chem.uu.nl/platon/    #
#                                   anonymous ftp: xraysoft.chem.uu.nl     #
# FAX   : (31)-30-2533940           PHONE : (31)-30-2532538/2533/3902/3502 #