2009 Annual Report

Dear all

Here's a report that I have managed to cobble together with Brian
McMahon for the Computing Commission. If there are no objections
received during the course of the next 24 hours it should be
considered safe for Mike to use as the official report.

Since it is now 3 months since Lachlan's disappearance, and there does
not seem to have been any news of his whereabouts, I think we need to
work together to make sure that the work of the Commission is
performed adequately. The three things that need attention in the near
future are (in no particular order)

(1) the School in Mieres
(2) the possibility of putting together a newsletter CompComm No. 11
(3) maintenance of the Commission's website

> Annual report:
>
> Following its concentration in the 2008 Kyoto School on the issue of
> 'Age   Concern', where a significant number of crystallographic
> software developers   are either formally retired or soon to retire,
> the Commission has been   very active in 2009 in addressing the
> topic. Several articles on this theme   were published in the
> CompComm Newsletter No. 10, November 2009 (which   appeared jointly
> as the Teaching Commission Newsletter No. 3). A leading   article by
> L. M. D. Cranswick and D. Watkin appeared on the IUCr web home
> page. Armel Le Bail's Source Code Museum, a collection of early
> crystallographic programs that are no longer maintained, was
> transferred in   late 2009 to the Computing Commission web site,
> which resides on the IUCr   server, in order to secure its future
> and to encourage the deposition of   additional packages that are
> not under active maintenance. The Commission   Chair created a
> gallery of historical portraits of computational   crystallographers
> and uploaded historical group photographs of computing   schools and
> workshops within the IUCr photographic archive, drawing on the
> collections of A. L. Spek and contributors to recent Computing
> Schools.
>
> Preparations for the Computing School to be held in Mieres, Spain
> before the IUCr XXII Congress in Madrid in 2011 are well under way.
> A preliminary programme and list of invited speakers has been
> prepared. The meeting website is live but still under construction (http://www.iucr.org/resources/commissions/crystallographic-computing/schools/mieres2011
> ), as many details are still to be finalised.

I know that we are all very busy people, but in order for the
Commission to continue to contribute to the Crystallographic community
at large, we all need to be prepared to spend some time on Commission
activities. Therefore, I ask again if anyone would be prepared to
spend some time on any of these activities?

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, MRC Centre,
Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 0QH