Modus operandi of COMCIFS Core Dictionary Maintenance Group

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <coredmg@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Modus operandi of COMCIFS Core Dictionary Maintenance Group
  • From: Brian McMahon <bm@iucr.org>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 09:59:24 GMT
Dear Colleagues

I welcome you to the discussion list of the COMCIFS Core Dictionary
Maintenance Group (coreDMG) which has been established for the purpose of
debating and implementing modifications to the CIF core dictionary.

Contributions to the discussion should be posted to the address
         coredmg@iucr.org

The list has a restricted membership (that is, only members of the Core DMG
may contribute to the discussions). However, the correspondence will be
archived and posted for public reading at the URL
               http://www.iucr.org/lists/coredmg/
Please therefore be aware that all postings to this address are public;
confidential matters should be discussed by direct mailing to individuals'
normal email addresses.

The archive web pages will provide a facility for non-subscribers to post
their comments to me; I shall filter them and forward any relevant
contributions to the list.

I have created a pseudo-archive of recent discussions within COMCIFS that
may be taken as seeds of active discussion threads for this group.

In the e-mail discourse, you should in general restrict mail messages to
single topics. To preserve the list processor's automatic threading, you
should respond to items on which you wish to comment by using your mail
software's "Reply" feature or by creating a Subject: line of the
form "Re: foo bar baz ..." To start a new thread, you should mail direct to
the list (rather than REPLYing to an existing message) and supply a suitably
informative Subject: field.

For the time being, I shall be responsible for posting modified versions of
the dictionary in accordance with the consensus I perceive emerging within
any discussion threads. Each such posting will be notified to this group,
and I shall include the URL of the latest draft.

The current membership of the Group is:

     I.D. Brown (Chair)
     S.R. Hall
     P.R. Edgington
     A.L. Spek
     B. McMahon
  Consultant:  J. Westbrook

With best wishes
Brian McMahon                                             tel: +44 1244 342878
Research and Development Officer                          fax: +44 1244 314888
International Union of Crystallography                  e-mail:  bm@iucr.ac.uk
5 Abbey Square, Chester CH1 2HU, England                         bm@iucr.org