Re: Modus operandi of COMCIFS Core Dictionary Maintenance Group

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <coredmg@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: Modus operandi of COMCIFS Core Dictionary Maintenance Group
  • From: "David Brown" <idbrown@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 22:13:19 GMT
 Having been away for a couple of weeks, I decide to read the contributions
to the coredmg discussions using the web page.   The advantage of doing
this is that I do not then have to make hard copies of the email messages
(since I can consult them as easily on the web as in my folder) and that
all the messages on a related topic (thread) are found in a proper
sequence, or at least they should be if the rules are obeyed.  Furthermore,
the thread name indicates the topic that is under discussion (though there
is a tendency for the topics to wander).  However, this only works if we
obey the rules and use the 'reply' feature rather than inventing new
subjects all the time.  I am calling for a little more discipline in the
way we make submissions so that the system can be properly
used as it was intended.  As an example, we now have a thread entitled
'Reply to Westbrook' which is not a particularly informative title and
splits the thread into two.

	I recommend that we all have a look at the summary of the discussions that
appears on the web.  It is an excellent way of reviewing a topic providing
we appreciate the rules that need to apply.

	I also intend to reply on the topic of units, but I will do this using the
appropriate thread.

			David Brown