cylinder length

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <coredmg@iucr.org>
  • Subject: cylinder length
  • From: "I. David Brown" <idbrown@mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 14:14:50 +0100 (BST)
	I have just received the following suggestion from Bill Clegg:
----------
The CIF dictionary has items for min, mean and max crystal dimensions;
also for the radius of a spherical or cylindrical crystal.  But there
seems to be no defined item for the LENGTH of a cylindrical crystal.  I
have checked with Syd, who agrees that this seems to be an omission.
Could something be added, please?  I know it's not likely to be needed
often, but I've just come across a case in handling an Acta Cryst
submission.  I'll cheat on this occasion and use the _max item for it, but
I don't think that's really quite the right answer in the long term.
-----------

	I would suggest that we add an item:

	_exptl_crystal_size_length

and in the definition of the _exptl_crystal_size_ items we replace the
sentence:

	'If the crystal is a sphere of a cylinder the '_rad' item is
the radius'

with

	'If the crystal is a sphere then the '_rad' item is its radius.
If the crystal is a cylinder then the '_rad' item is its radius and the
'_length' item is its length'

or should we use 'height' instead of 'length'?

				David Brown