Re: Request for new data name _citation_database_id_CSD

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <coredmg@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: Request for new data name _citation_database_id_CSD
  • From: Sydney R Hall <syd@crystal.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 01:05:52 GMT
Hi Brian. This data name appears logical and I support its inclusion.

Your mail was a needed wakeup on cif matters. As was predictable I have
been consumed by local restructuring matters... with a week's break at the
Bangalore AsCA meeting which was most enjoyable and a welcome escape to
"real" science. I am being heavily lobbied to take on the new large school
of biomedical and chemical sciences here next year... which is somewhat
flattering on one hand but more an indication of how most sensible
academics view the task of bringing together four disparate departments
in difficult budget times!! I'm keeping an open mind about it all but its
getting close to decision time.

On the StarDDL/dREL front we have been somewhat preoccupied with transparent
links to XML tools of late. Whatever developments we work on this translation
will be important in the future. I have write a general parser that will
convert any cif (data or dic) into an xml instance document, and greg has
written an xslt parser that converts the xml/dic to schemas. By the way
conversion to an instance document uses the appropriate dictionary to
recognise the category hierarchy, the enumerated values and the category
keys. For your amusement I will send you a couple of these xml documents
separately.

And, yes, there is volume G. :(

Cheers, Syd.

------
 syd@crystal.uwa.edu.au         ,-_|\       Professor Sydney R. Hall
                               /     \      Director, Crystallography Centre
 Fx:  61(8)9380 1118       --> *_,-._/      Deputy Executive Dean of Science
 Ph:  61(8)9380 2725                v       University of Western Australia
 www.crystal.uwa.edu.au                     Crawley, 6009  AUSTRALIA.