Re: Items for the coreCIF dictionary relating to restraints

  • To: Distribution list of the IUCr COMCIFS Core Dictionary Maintenance Group <coredmg@iucr.org>, rherbst@shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de, tg@shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de
  • Subject: Re: Items for the coreCIF dictionary relating to restraints
  • From: "George M. Sheldrick" <gsheldr@shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:55:28 +0100 (CET)

Dear David,

The proposed list looks very sensible to me and Ilia has done an excellent
job of sorting it out. I like the idea of using an esd of zero to
distinguish constraints from restraints.

I may be mistaken, but as far as I can see, the probably most commonly
applied constraint in SHELXL (and probably other programs too) is still
not covered. I refer to the case where there are disordered solvent
molecules or side-chains, where one GROUP of atoms (e.g. a solvent
molecule) have the same refinable occupancy p and the atoms in the
alternative groupall have occupancies 1-p. This is a powerful constraint
because only one extra parameter p can describe the occupancies of a
large number of atoms. Maybe there is a way of using 'restraint 10' for
this but it is not clear to me, and such a common case should be covered
explicitely.

Without a concept that maps onto the SHELX 'free variables' it will
never be possible to produce a CIF file that enables a refinement to be
repeated. In my personal opinion this is the primary reason for wanting
to encode the restraints and constraints in CIF, without this it is a
rather academic exercise.

I am getting old and senile and in addition to plenty of teaching and
administration have a long list of more exciting things to program -
primarily in macromolecular crystallography - almost certainly more
than I will ever manage to achieve - so I have no plans to adapt
SHELXL to produce these CIF items, even if as seems likely I release
further updates of this program. I have not forgotten what a torture
it was to create and read CIFs before proper tools were available,
but it probably made the difference in getting CIF generally accepted
by small molecule crystallographers. Maybe someone else will have
time to produce software that reads a SHELXL .res file and writes the
restraints and constraints to a CIF file.

Best wishes, George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,
University of Goettingen,