Core CIF review is up and running!

  • To: Distribution list of the IUCr COMCIFS Core Dictionary Maintenance Group <coredmg@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Core CIF review is up and running!
  • From: James Hester <jamesrhester@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 16:52:48 +1100
  • DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113;h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type;bh=yqYveMVdqMmlT9SlGG5iR/0r9HR2M5s64hqybsAVEt8=;b=lihmlDzshXowt61AKn6PvTsSW19meJPsRtDzpj4gjit5bF0dIZUMLNJkvx6mlFGqi/5FA74NRpg/83owztfphmlpHk9+4j47SJ5mRroLOgblMHsD+ovIbuRpY5JksDeLJLnqIQeAVQI954ys1ZqCM6NsNMN4kvSdAsRPssH+NuNmZfAtdNpmGkm5QZ17xT2+xlzF2hABWkMstVdLbdFr9FHiP531EH82Eq63UwRxNItxfqeSaJwYZBTwFtEp6Qt1uwoAH8upCj4dqkAkv/vZDXpHbImIsLI8AVapLMV0Cd9oWZz/iVwiRkxb4bncBPCwyZyGILJpyq4hMQ6TDSkHIA==
Dear Core CIF DMG,

The Core CIF review is now in progress.  As advised previously, I propose running through the core categories one by one and collecting any updates.  The main discussion will occur in an IUCr forum created especially for this purpose: the URL is http://forums.iucr.org/viewforum.php?f=34

Furthermore, the changing dictionary can be viewed at the Github COMCIFS repository, URL https://github.com/COMCIFS/cif_core/blob/master/cif_core.dic

The first category off the rank is ATOM_SITE. I have posted a topic with this heading to the forum and now invite you to read over all the datanames in the ATOM_SITE category in search of potential updates. Please pay particular attention to enumerated lists to see if any of the enumerations need to be expanded.  I suggest that we spend no more than 3 weeks focussing on each category; moving onto a new category does not preclude continuing discussions on previous categories.  Likewise, you are more than welcome to start a discussion on a different category ahead of time - just make sure that the subject heading of your forum post contains the category name.

Finally and importantly, in parallel we are approving a DDLm version of the core dictionary.  A link to the DDLm dictionary containing the ATOM_SITE category is given at the top of the forum ATOM_SITE post.  In reading over the DDLm dictionary, you will find the materials from last years' CIF dictionary workshop very useful: they are available at  https://www.dropbox.com/home/COMCIFS_Workshop/workshop-folder. The most relevant sections are 08, 09, 15 and 16.  An in-browser Javascript application for executing dREL methods found in the DDLm dictionaries has been developed and should be made available shortly.

best wishes,
James Hester