Re: Proposal of additional CIF data items

  • To: Distribution list of the IUCr COMCIFS Core Dictionary Maintenance Group<coredmg@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: Proposal of additional CIF data items
  • From: "Herbert J. Bernstein" <yayahjb@gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 10:44:16 -0400
  • Cc: Loes Kroon-Batenburg <l.m.j.kroon-batenburg@uu.nl>, Andreas Foerster <andreas.foerster@dectris.com>, Mark Koennecke <mark.koennecke@psi.ch>, John Helliwell <john.helliwell@manchester.ac.uk>, James Hester <james.r.hester@gmail.com>, Benjamin Watts <benjamin.watts@psi.ch>, stephen.burley@rcsb.org
  • DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025;h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to:cc; bh=f0LIP2j1qGuRjsj33JaRdNUIDJWZncHvv+LPVEScfrk=;b=cdQlgEGa6/Khvgk8QeT2FGezrFUOijPY3pUQWR56/vxI3g5XQLgC25jZFKsBJ+GkcOyR4x1MG6bxotuSUlgXyG4dMoecKrme/Ic3790IfzrKivyn69SOP3fS0GwTpMvxgAz0ShZ104a5KCLeuBnzMmr75CYC6r/7I+fn+f0ZTHvi/2tcsKaSfpkjst4U1twI/b+X3EAwAf4avpd8/yC1b6pEMEakqw24hJ66dK7+jGoaSjv+vab47lHZ1/Uj14Oj4pizJhvHZMAqGSl+6g1v9ssvsGZLacJgc8IG09XKe6EpiXZaI1mRYFuMNFgM+T6X115l9c1zFWMah98KWag+qQ==
Dear Colleagues,
  This is a very important and useful set of discussion threads.  They will be even more important and useful if there is
strong coordination among the small molecule and MX communities on how this metadata is recorded and reported,
as well as among the archives and those responsible for the data collection hardware, processes and pipelines.  While
it is not essential to harmonize all metadata tags involved, the more we do harmonize them the more likely they are to
be filled in and used correctly.  In particular I would suggest continuing the excellent past practice of having matching
pairs of coreCIF and mmCIF tags where possible and maintaining a concordance with the relevant  NeXus/HDF5
application definitions.
  Regards,
    Herbert