Re: CCDC/IUCr Journals proposal 3: Add audit_support category

  • To: Distribution list of the IUCr COMCIFS Core Dictionary Maintenance Group<coredmg@iucr.org>, "james.r.hester@gmail.com" <james.r.hester@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: CCDC/IUCr Journals proposal 3: Add audit_support category
  • From: "Bollinger, John C via coreDMG" <coredmg@iucr.org>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 15:04:23 +0000
  • Cc: "Bollinger, John C" <John.Bollinger@STJUDE.ORG>
  • DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=simple/simple;d=stjude.org; i=@stjude.org; q=dns/txt; s=mgate;t=1598281473; x=1629817473;h=from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:references:in-reply-to:mime-version;bh=PU2+5kRzuBbiXIZ2xZczc+3wcz/BaLVzf7Hw0fyk30M=;b=Bqm5Rlwn8GsB8mYxGPYT5+YtN89+qHS5bMpmn7AsuwfKkPzivWthR5hcly955VAcKUysBOraTvESQoQHWEENwZTcDcLYcHWCd+jYeCbRveZ39zbxKRP5lY0trNfLjDqB3sinTPDgzC2lBiRwIzMOB2zJDvBUsMZiiM7aGbOU20E+YDEG20euD91XsHR6esNSFIxzdjZm2tuR0FGmBvOxYhKiuwVk8rhUDBVesn69OhPNRIXZEGMOkPUFhAucNie/ZRGCUuuPjIzNoC6BEZ7TYYkMWOSHu7qNRkrny52zMCJ1+Z8kgPiU8XePu1IODbjCSxUmM/d3no76r2/FxdqwL g==;
  • DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=SJCRH.onmicrosoft.com; s=selector1-SJCRH-onmicrosoft-com;h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck;bh=4THm6S3ch0WmW536LKu0pusT2uG7b2XyJYWT2Wgay40=;b=3o8PHkud10fgykvQwXNeR/AGbxqT1dpfQJtp8WYY/zx4zxnGhZtB93AtEemweDAusM9QYvVYnsFs98FxvwLo/xFgSnI+SZ3Jw6NTeNENN2FxnvTy0HQVzNsuyOQ48HyAcnK+yQYL/iJY8DtYYimArtF7hbCTENuvgqXHGYmCsFI=
Hi James,

Regarding "bursary" -- the word is not in wide use in American English.  In fact, I personally recognize it only as an extension of "bursar", itself used in American English almost exclusively as a title (for a financial officer; usually in higher education), not a common noun.  Inasmuch as the definition says that the funds associated with a bursary award are devoted to supporting living expenses, the closest term I can think of in common American use is "stipend", but those are not necessarily awarded on the basis of need.

Overall, I do think there is a lot of overlap between the definitions of the enumeration items.  They seem to be trying to capture several distinct characteristics, at least (1) the reason for the award and (2) the obligations associated with the award, with perhaps a bit of (3) who is eligible for such an award.  Additionally, I think the options presented have taken on a bit of a flavor of "Where can money come from in Academia?", which seems a bit out of focus to me relative to "How was this research funded?".  From this perspective, I might adjust the alternatives like so:

  gift         'Funds were drawn from an unobligated, discretionary source under the control of one of the participants in the research program'
  grant        'Funds were provided by an organization or person outside the research program for the specific purpose of supporting the research, as directed by the primary investigator'
  contract     'Funds were provided as part of a contractual agreement not covered by other award types'
  studentship  'Funds were provided specifically to support a student in conducting research, whether directly or indirectly'
  other        'Other type of support'

Illustrative examples:

 - A person or organization ("funder") awards cash to Professor A in recognition of research they have done, without placing requirements on its use.  Professor A uses it to perform more research.  This is a "gift", regardless of the circumstances or reason for the money being given to A initially.

 - A funder awards cash to Professor B, subject to a requirement that it be used to fund further research, generally subject to B's research priorities and direction.  This is a "grant", regardless of whether obtained competitively.

 - A funder awards cash or cash-equivalent to student C for the purpose of supporting them to perform research, whether to pay directly for research expenses or to provide for their living or academic expenses in order to enable them to devote time to the research.  This is a "studentship", regardless of the criteria or process for selecting awardees.

 - A funder awards cash or cash-equivalent to student D in recognition of their strong academic performance or of their need for assistance, in order to support them generally in pursuing a higher education.  This is none of the above (not even "other").  It is not research support at all, regardless of whether they perform research in conjunction with their academic program.

Note also that I chose above to stick with a selection of the original enumeration items, but if that's not essential then I would suggest that "gift" might be better called "discretionary" or similar.

I think that does a good job of drawing the most important distinctions.  If it is desirable to slice the categories more finely then I suggest that subdividing those would be a viable way to proceed.

Regards,

John

--
John C. Bollinger, Ph.D., RHCSA