Re: [dddwg] Please comment on the attached for ICSTI's InsightsSeries

Dear all,

I believe the papers are very useful in shaping up our thougths about the
possiblity of archiving raw images.
Local data centres are probably the most feasible solution to storing raw
diffraction images. Lossy compression is in fact a sacrafice to cost efficiency.
However, we almost always perform some form of data compression, as we usually
bin (2x2, or 4x4) the images.
There might be two levels of data archiving, each with there own pro's and con's
with respect to availabilty and usefulness of raw data. Lossy data compression
may be sufficient for some aspects, but not for others.
1) lossy compression is useful for:
- prevention of fraud (6th issue in Article 3)
- redoing steps in early decisions in structure determination (2th issue)
- interpretation of diffuse scattering (1th issue, but not quantitative)
- multiple lattices (3th)
- solving unsolved problems (4th)
2) lossless compression is needed for:
- accurate structure comparisons and information on uncertainties in the models;
establishing effects of different procedures (see Tom Terwilliger's article).
- determining the resolution cut-off (5th)
- future improved data interpretation (integrate_redo) and analysis of e.g. the
disorder description by ensembles (see Tom Terwilliger's article)

Maybe you can add a few sentence as to these different requirements.

At some point in the process we will have to decide what the ultimate goal of
archiving raw data is.

Best wishes,
Loes.

On 04/09/12 09:21, John Helliwell wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
> Please comment on the attached which we have drafted for ICSTI's Insights Series.
>
> In parallel with inviting your comments we are consulting the ICSTI Executive
> Secretary (and who in turn may well consult the President of ICSTI) as to its
> suitability; the biggest challenge being the technical crystallographic terms
> for the general audience that ICSTI members cover.
>
> As a reminder recall that ICSTI (the International Council for Scientific and
> Technical Information) embraces numerous national information science agencies,
> Librarians, agencies like DataCite, the Research Information Network, the ALPSP
> and as scientist delegates:- from IUPAC (Dr Wendy Warr) and IUPAP (Sir Roger
> Elliott), besides JRH for IUCr.
> Current full list:-
> http://www.icsti.org/spip.php?rubrique44
>

> We are striving to keep to an end of April 2012 delivery of these three articles
> to ICSTI if at all possible.
> There are still some polishings on referencing style and adding a movie clip,
> perhaps most easily via a weblink, that are obviously still to be done.
>
> Please reply with any comments before April 19th 2012.
> Thankyou in anticipation.
>
> Best wishes and regards,
> John, Tom and Brian
>

> Prof John R Helliwell DSc FInstP CPhys FRSC CChem F Soc Biol
> Chair School of Chemistry, University of Manchester, Athena Swan Team.
> http://www.chemistry.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/athena/index.html

Dr. Loes Kroon-Batenburg
Dept. of Crystal and Structural Chemistry
Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research
Utrecht University
Padualaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht
The Netherlands

E-mail : l.m.j.kroon-batenburg@uu.nl