Re: [dddwg] Bergen workshop programme [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • To: IUCr Working Group on Diffraction data Deposition <dddwg@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: [dddwg] Bergen workshop programme [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
  • From: "GARRETT, Richard" <garrett@ansto.gov.au>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 07:39:10 +0000

Dear Brian,

You may have seen this already, and your working group is probably not at this policy level, but the following email and the attached landed in my email inbox today and maybe somewhat relevant:

The Royal Society, UK, has just released a report on open access to data for science. The report has some key themes -  mandating open access to publicly funded data collections to overcome researcher’s desires to protect their own publishing interests, and the use of safe havens that limit data access to researchers with a legitimate interest in the data but who are subject to penalties if they breach confidentiality.

In 2010, a group of international funding bodies (led by the Wellcome Trust and including the National Health and Medical Research Council) signed up to a ‘joint statement of purpose’ for sharing research data to improve public health.

Attached is the summary of the report (~10p) and the joint statement (3p).

Cheers,

Richard

Dr Richard Garrett

Chair, IUCr Commission on Synchrotron Radiation

Senior Advisor, Synchrotron Science,

ANSTO Building 1,

Private Mail Bag 1,

Menai, NSW, 2234

Australia

Tel +61 (0)2 9717 3657   Fax +61 (0)2 9717 9274

www.ansto.gov.au

Important: This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee.  It is confidential and may contain privileged information or copyright material. If you are not the intended recipient, any use or further disclosure of this communication is strictly forbidden. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify me immediately by telephone and delete all copies of this transmission as well as any attachments.