Re: [ddlm-group] Use of elides in strings

For what it is worth, I have inserted my understanding of what NIck
and I propose as a minimal eliding system, by referring to Nick's
previous emails in this thread.

The asterisks indicate transformations that we haven't discussed here,
as in these cases we have terminator sequences rather than single
characters.  Other approaches are possible in these cases, as the
terminator sequence can be broken up.  In these cases custom
dictionary-driven eliding is probably much more reasonable, ie. the
syntax specification would not provide an eliding mechanism and the
cut-and-paste brigade might get a bit more mileage.