Re: [ddlm-group] Feedback on draft CIF2 specification fromJohn Bollinger

James Hester wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> If you haven't seen John Bollinger's useful feedback on our draft CIF2 specification, I recommend that you read it at
>
> http://www.iucr.org/__data/iucr/lists/cif-developers/msg00269.html

A few more comments:

Point 22: (implicit line joining)

The sentence "There is implicit line joining, and the newline has no
meaning with regard to the List values." should be removed. Newline is a
valid whitespace token, as everywhere else. The idea of "implicit line
joining" is no more useful here than for a row of _loop item values.

In CHANGE 8, does "implicit line joining" imply that the newline in the
example below does not count? If so, that is a very problematic special
case.

"description":"""Cubic space group
and metric cell vectors"""

point 24: (The Reasoning subsection contains only descriptions and
explanations, not any reasoning or even justification / rationale.)

For many changes, the justification is vague. Many of the changes seem
driven by personal opinions rather than actual parsing/computing needs.
It would be nice to see detailed justifications.

Joe Krahn