Re: [ddlm-group] Handling of null byte in CIF2. .

On Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:08 AM, Brian McMahon wrote:
>I hope this already has a simple answer. What is the status
>of a zero byte (i.e. value 0) in a CIF ? Is it handled clearly
>in the current draft specification, or do we need specifically
>to exclude it as an acceptable character, or otherwise make a
>comment on how to handle it?

Change 2 specifies exactly which Unicode characters are allowed in CIF, and the only ASCII control characters among them are horizontal tab (U+0009), line feed (U+000A), and carriage return (U+000D).  In particular, null (U+0000) is not in the set.

John C. Bollinger, Ph.D.
Department of Structural Biology
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital