Re: [ddlm-group] A modest addition to the DDLm spec. .

Dear Nic,

   If the spec is quoted string literal + quoted string litera;,
+4 is no problem, it is just +4.

   "breaking the underlying structure of a
> tag-value construct in the original STAR/CIF" is no more done
by this extension than it was by the bracketed constructs.

   Could we stick to the practical reality of:

   1.  Is this useful to a reasonable number of people? and
   2.  Does it break anything?

I believe the answers are yes and no.  Do you have any specific
evidence to the contrary?

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010, Nick Spadaccini wrote:

> And there in lies the first incompatibility.
>
> _atom_site.charge +4
>
> Is not allowed. But -4 is.
>
> In all honesty I can't see how breaking the underlying structure of a
> tag-value construct in the original STAR/CIF in this way actually improves
> any backwards compatibility to CIF1 - which I must admit I don't see as such
> a high priority to warrant these machinations.
>
> With my usual disclaimer that these are comments only and IUCr and your
> group need to work out what you want CIF to be.
>

> On 1/10/10 1:16 AM, "Herbert J. Bernstein" <yaya@bernstein-plus-sons.com>
> wrote:
>
>> You must, of course, quote all pluses not being used as a
>> concatenation operator.

>>   Herbert J. Bernstein, Professor of Computer Science
>>     Dowling College, Kramer Science Center, KSC 121
>>          Idle Hour Blvd, Oakdale, NY, 11769
>>
>>                   +1-631-244-3035
>>                   yaya@dowling.edu

>>> One specific (but synthetic) example I was thinking of was along the same
>>> lines:
>>>
>>> loop_
>>> _amino_acid.code