Re: [ddlm-group] Simon's elide proposal

On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:39 AM, Herbert J. Bernstein wrote:

>Please state the proposal F handling of the following strings, both syntax and semantics, here presented in their python form

I take this as a response to James's invitation, but inasmuch as he is (I hope) sleeping at the moment, I will endeavor to pick up the flag.

>"""\""""
>'''\''''

Taking the first of these as representative of this pair:

This is a string containing one quote character.  The best elision under proposal F would be
""""\
"""
Easier, however, would be to write it as one of these:
'"'
'''"'''

>r"""\"'''
>r'''\''''

Supposing that you mean r"""\"""" in the former case, and taking the second as representative of the pair:

This is a string containing a backslash character followed by an apostrophe character.  The best proposal F elision would be
'''\'\
'''
Simpler representations would be
'\"'
'''\"'''

>"""\
>\"\
>"""

The string contains one quote character, just like the first example.  The elision is therefore the same.

>r"""\
>\"\
>"""

This is a string containing six characters: backslash, newline, backslash, quote, backslash, newline.  The best elision for this string under proposal F would be:
"""\\
\\"\\
"""
There is an equivalent form using ''', but it is no simpler.

Cheers,

John C. Bollinger, Ph.D.
Department of Structural Biology
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital