Re: [ddlm-group] Objectives of CIF2 syntax discussion. .. .. .

On Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:47 PM, Herbert J. Bernstein wote:

[...]

>   Having one tag to nominate a preferred alias tag
>by tag is quite a clerical burden.  Having one style
>to select is a lot less work.

I perhaps should not have raised that idea in the same message as my other comments, because it addresses a different problem than I think style tags would.  I am therefore responding separately about that idea.  Consider, however, the Core CIF dictionary, with its many data names for which preferred alternatives have been introduced over the years.  All of the alternatives must be represented in a DDLm dictionary that covers the core, presumably by aliases.  When it needs to do so, then, how is a DDLm application to choose which one of such a group of alternatives to use?

I imagine you saying "Aha! Tag style!", but I think a for-purpose attribute would be a better fit for this cross-dictionary problem than would be an attribute having per-dictionary semantics.  I am open to discussion on this.

John C. Bollinger, Ph.D.
Department of Structural Biology
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital