From: James Hester <jamesrhester@gmail.com>
To: Group finalising DDLm and associated dictionaries <ddlm-group@iucr.org>
Sent: Tuesday, 22 February, 2011 3:53:55
Subject: [ddlm-group] Technical issues with Proposal P

I will focus this email on the technical issues and try to return to
the other issues at a later date (I've changed the subject
accordingly)

[edit]

My apologies for not being clear: my examples of embedded elides
already give the internal representation of the strings, deliberately
leaving out the particular delimiters that might have been used to
produce those strings.  Herbert mistakenly thought I was giving
triple-double-quote delimited strings and asking what the internal
representation was. So, unfortunately, IDLE cannot help here, as the
internal representation is not in question.

My question therefore remains: how does the CIF application interpret
these strings? Is the <backslash><delimiter> in my examples simply an
elide that could not be removed from a raw string and therefore should
be ignored, or is it a character sequence intended for the application
(eg a LaTeX accent on the o or e)?

In your answer you may assume that the CIF application knows that the
string was a raw string delimited by triple double quotes (even though
requiring communication of such information would be a very
unfortunate loss of clean design).

Those strings again:

<start> I have no idea what the last characters of this string are\"<finish>
<start> Does this string have two\""" or three internal quotes?<finish>