From: James Hester <jamesrhester@gmail.com>
To: Group finalising DDLm and associated dictionaries <ddlm-group@iucr.org>
Sent: Monday, 28 February, 2011 5:51:32
Subject: Re: [ddlm-group] Fwd: Fwd: Searching for a compromise on eliding

Proposal G is derived from F', which has the simple rule that n
backslashes before <eol> is replaced by n-1 backslashes and <eol>
unless there is only 1 backslash, in which case both backslash and
<eol> are removed.  So the internal representations of these three
strings are:

<start>line 1 line 2<finish>

<start>line 1 \
line 2<finish>