Re: [ddlm-group] The Grazulis eliding proposal: how toincorporatei nto CIF?. .. .. .. .

On Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:38 PM, SIMON WESTRIP wrote:

>I'd be happy enough to see this as part of CIF2 - its particularly elegant with respect to 'CIF in CIF'.
>It probably doesn't provide the convenience that I suspect the proponents of python-type eliding
>are looking for, but perhaps I'll be proved wrong in this :-)

It clearly doesn't provide all the features that full-Python-syntax proponents seem to want, but I'm not certain that "convenience" is among those.  On the other hand, some of the full-Python-syntax opponents' objections are specifically to the number and nature of the features Python strings offer.

All that notwithstanding, all the Python-like feature proposals currently on the table apply only to """/'''-quoted values, therefore the text-prefix proposal is orthogonal to them.  Or it is as I proposed it, at least.  It does not conflict with any of the Python-like proposals.

As far as convenience goes, however, I think the text prefix proposal would be far more convenient to apply to a block of arbitrary text, because you don't have to analyze the text if you don't wish to do so.  You can just preemptively prefix and fold lines.  The only thing that matters is where the newlines are in the original text.

John C. Bollinger, Ph.D.
Department of Structural Biology
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital