Re: [ddlm-group] CIF2 semantics

Title:

For the record::

James Hester wrote:
Do we all agree with the following assertion regarding full point and question mark?
(1) A full point/question mark inside string delimiters is *not* equivalent to an undelimited full point/question mark
I agree with this statement.

Numbers: I believe that strings that could be interpreted as numbers are nevertheless (in a formal sense) just strings in the context of the post-parse abstract data model.  Therefore, whether or not a numerical string is delimited does not change its value: 4.5 and "4.5" are identical values.
I have not particular views on this as I am not involved in writing software.

David

begin:vcard
fn:I.David Brown
n:Brown;I.David
org:McMaster University;Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research
adr:;;King St. W;Hamilton;Ontario;L8S 4M1;Canada
email;internet:idbrown@mcmaster.ca
title:Professor Emeritus
tel;work:+905 525 9140 x 24710
tel;fax:+905 521 2773