Re: [ddlm-group] _enumerated_set.table_id

Hi James,

I agree that _enumeration_set.table_id seems a misfit.  Moreover, I observe that it is not documented in the 2008 DDLm paper.  That paper is aging a bit, but I take the attribute’s omission as an additional signal that it does not serve a role of any major import.

Moreover, I agree that the particular usage you found is troublesome.  It might well be sensible to describe the allowed keys of a particular table via an enumerated set, but in that case those keys would be the *values* (states) expressed by the enumeration, hence the table_id attribute is superfluous.  (I guess that’s pretty much what you said, too; please bear with me as I get my DDLm brain engaged.)

More generally, I agree that there should be a mechanism for DDLm dictionaries to constrain, on a per-item basis, the form that tables may take.  The greatest expressive power in that area would involve being able to specify which keys are allowed (including the possibility of free-form keys), which of those are required, and what type of value must be associated with each key. To do that in full generality would require allowing the types of values inside a table to be defined in terms of other _type definitions in the dictionary, or something equivalently powerful.  Inasmuch as keys must be strings, I think the existing enumeration facility is probably strong enough to express constraints on keys.

Doug’s suggestion doesn’t provide the full expressiveness described above, but it may be reasonable and sufficient for the requirements of any dictionary we currently contemplate supporting.  It is limited at least in that it can express only mappings that _must_ be present or mappings that _may_ be present, but not both.  It appears also to be somewhat limited with regard to the constraints it allows to be placed on values in the defined table type.  Those may be limitations we can live with.

As a practical matter, though, does DDLm have a way to define that the value for item _type.contents is either a table or a member of an enumeration_set?  In other words, can we write a definition of the proposed extended _type.contents item that DDLm can validate, without changing or adding other definitions?  If not, then perhaps that’s a good reason to consider a more comprehensive solution.

John

--

John C. Bollinger, Ph.D.

Computing and X-Ray Scientist