[ddlm-group] FYI - dREL documentation

  • To: ddlm-group <ddlm-group@iucr.org>
  • Subject: [ddlm-group] FYI - dREL documentation
  • From: James Hester <jamesrhester@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 10:43:32 +1000
  • DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025;h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to;bh=dc3GngvfX1mc85i7W8lLOl0Af1r9Bxf6jrciTtVmeR0=;b=uZSiSi3huKnIaIPPnfwjRfLavRvzKXEpWU3uGdkUwkLpx4KT2yxgrUI8ALrD477O3tLeR6JGJ8bbFyk871c8CPOYsuAg9zRtHTXsgENQUR1j6jQhD+RtWLQQCFu6XazqGsO8vW4ZTE14IVPjxtV/UIZ5y45ZrOx+3xR8vpudyFAPmQWsb0geiG8f8Vosh3MGCHSnqPhndOt/la/zRoOA4n/M5imfu+KH7GgCNuTq3xGXdVLAJD0gW8Bt3wguaxkqa0ICZKD5GyZCWM7D3iYp7xFKAsCmMuCpAuawMBA/wopJCWdk193m1rU3JCPzzfG2WxFB6Hp6av8FsoMKtHxsoA==
Dear DDLm-group,

As part of drafting the dREL chapter in Vol G I have developed an annoted grammar for dREL in the github repository at github.com/COMCIFS/dREL. In the Examples directory is a project that uses the python Lark parser to take this grammar and turn it into a parse tree. The example provided then takes this parse tree and transforms it into (recursively) executable Python code that is capable of deriving missing values in a provided data file.  It is not intended to be efficient, but to be able to check that the grammar works correctly. Those of you with an interest in that type of thing and a working knowledge of Python are invited to build on any part of this work e.g. to write your own transformers to other languages, or to take the grammar and use other grammar-processing tools. I would like this work to serve as a basis for further development in dREL, if necessary.

I suggest using the 'Issues' tab of the dREL repository for raising problems with the grammar, which there no doubt are, or indeed any issues with the examples. The 'projects' tab is also populated with some tasks, feel free to add your own (you will need to be added to the repository first) or to put up your hand for any of the tasks there.

all the best,
James.