Re: [ddlm-group] Proposal to allow SU corresponding to a givenMeasurand data name to be linked using _name.linked_item_id

As there is a one-to-one link between the SU data name and the data name itself (that is, each data name may have only one SU data name, and visa versa), there is no parent or child data name in the sense used in DDL2 or DDLm, and the broader issues of where to accumulate child information in many-to-one relationships are not relevant. Seeking resolution and then consistency with those many-to-one situations imposes an unnecessary burden.  The original proposal simply makes finding the other end of the one-to-one link a whole lot simpler when you don't know whether a given data name has a default SU data name or a special one (like Fsigma).  Before moving on to your larger topic, do you have any objection to the original proposal, given the points made in this paragraph?

I do agree with your general point on accumulating parent-child relationships. My understanding is that mmCIF originally made the decision to do so solely in the parent definition, and to leave out child data name definitions completely, but later on (by popular request?) added child definitions with parent information. As a result, several of the categories in imgCIF have child keys of _diffrn.id (anything with 'diffrn' in the data name) but these child key data names are (almost) always absent from the imgCIF dictionary.  As I think you are hintng, Herbert, creating new child keys of a mmCIF or pdbx category requires updating the mmCIF/pdbx dictionary itself, and this therefore requires coordination with the PDB.

In terms of DDLm policy on accumulating parent-child information, that decision has been made for us in that there are no DDLm attributes that would indicate the child data names of a data name, and so there are no options for accumulation of this information.  The parent-child information is, of course, available, so generating a DDL2 version of DDLm dictionaries is not at all hampered by this lack of the appropriate attribute.