IUCr Web services

Dear EPC,

  Last Friday afternoon I made some changes in the format, but not in
the content, of Crystallography World Wide (CWW) to harmonize its use as
part of the IUCr pan-crystallography W3 services on IUCr accredited
mirror servers. The update was long overdue but became urgent with the
coming on-stream of new IUCr accredited mirror servers.

  As CWW is now an old W3 server with its own (anon ftp) mirrors what I
have had to do is a compromise. I did not want to cut off the existing
CWW-only servers but needed to make sure that IUCr accredited mirror
sites were getting the best deal. The whole problem revolves around the
use of absolute (e.g. http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/journals/... ) and
relative (e.g. /iucr-top/journals/... ) URLs.

  All references from CWW to files in the two file
hierarchies /iucr-top and /sincris-top are by way of relative URLs
beginning with /iucr-top and /sincris-top. Within CWW references to
other files in CWW use just the file name e.g. crystal.index.html and
are not in the form /cww-top/crystal.index.html . This allows CWW-only
mirror sites to continue to work properly for intra-CWW use. The alerts
for the IUCr journals table of contents are now given as relative URLs
in What's New. I have considerably reduced the size of the entry page of
CWW and have removed any mention of mirror sites from it. Information on
the CWW-only mirrors is to be found only in crystal.editor.html .

  I've noticed that some of the links in /sincris-top either to Chester
or CWW are still absolute in form and, Yves, it would be much
appreciated if you could change these to the relative form to make the
accredited mirror sites as useful as possible.

  I've put a short explanation of the changes in "What's New" because I
started to receive some minor complaints and queries. On a CWW-only
mirror site, the iucrhome icon appears as a question mark (with Netscape
3.x on a UNIX box) and the hot link underneath does not function. It's a
nice reminder to the sluggards to update their mirror system.

Best wishes,
  Howard
--
Howard Flack        http://www.unige.ch/crystal/ahdf/Howard.Flack.html
Laboratoire de Cristallographie               Phone:(+41 22) 702 62 49