Re: RSC web site

Dear Peter,

  Their chemsoc site does not have very much useful information on it at
the moment. For example seaching "Crystallography" or "IUCr" or
"Crystallographica" shows up little and many of the URLs are already out
of date. The extension of their site is much more in their own interest
than ours.

>  It would be useful to discuss
> how we might interact with this site.

 I suggest we do little ourselves to help them improve their site.  It
would be best if we made a list of corrections and essential IUCr
products to have included on their site. I'll make a list of some of the
things I saw below. If the other members of the EPC could click around a
bit on the site and complete the list and then I suggest you reply to
the young lady. If you agree, I will put a shortened copy of her letter
in What's New so you can say how kind and friendly we are being. (Be
sure and give the URL.)

>  and you
> will see
> that a link to your web site has been included in the Societies' directory

>             International Union of Crystallography
>             International Union of Crystallography
>             2 Abbey Square
>             Chester CH1 2HU
>             Tel: + 44 (1244) 345431
>             Fax: + 44 (1244) 344843

  There is no e-mail address, no URL or text description of the
objectives of the IUCr (this can be copied from our entry page.)
Moreover the IUCr is listed under UK, whereas it should be under
International, Worldwide, Global or whatever. The physical location of
the editorial office is not the geographic location of the organization.

  I did not find IUCr in the Societies Index.

>  I would
> therefore be very grateful if you would include a link to chemsoc from your
> Society's own homepage.

  I do not intend to add their site in my CWW geographical or societies
index. (I do not recommend you to add it anywhere in /iucr-top/) . Once
I add one non-crystallographic association in there, I have to add them
all. My criterion is that the sites must be essentially
crystallographic.

> Your Society can also advertise details of its meetings and events on
> Chemsoc. A
> free electronic form is available at:
> http://www.chemsoc.org/events/post.htm

  Leave that to each conference organizer to do.

Errors:
  (1) As mentionned above, the IUCr addresses.
  (2) > The World Wide Web Virtual Library: Crystallography
        should be  Crystallography World Wide with URL
        http://www.iucr.org/cww-top/crystal.index.html
  (3) > International Union of Crystallography should have URL
        http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/welcome.html  (or Brian's preferred
form)

Their search engine should find:
  Acta Crystallographica
  Journal of Applied Crystallography
  Journal of Synchrotron Radiation
  International Tables for Crystallography
  IUCr

Best wishes,
   Howard

--
Howard Flack        http://www.unige.ch/crystal/ahdf/Howard.Flack.html
Laboratoire de Cristallographie               Phone: 41 (22) 702 62 49