ICSTI: news items

  • To: epc@iucr.org
  • Subject: ICSTI: news items
  • From: Pete Strickland <ps@iucr.org>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:13:22 +0100

Subject: Fwd: CISTI considers OA
Date: Sunday 17 April 2005 2:15 pm
From: Barry Mahon <barry.mahon@IOL.IE>
To: ICSTI-L@DTIC.MIL

 From Open Access News - note the word 'misleading'.....not mine....

The Canadian Institute for Scientific and Technical Information (CISTI) has
released its Strategic Plan 2005-2010.
Section 3.2 gives a misleading overview of OA:  as if self-archiving didn't
exist, as if OA journals charging author-side fees used an "author pays"
model, as if most OA journals used this funding model, and as if some OA
proponents argued that peer-reviewed literature was costless to produce.
Then it draws some conclusions:  'This decade will see continuing
experimentation with Open Access models and growing pressure on publishers to
make journals partially or fully open access. This will have significant
impacts on not-for-profit publishers, including CISTI's publishing program,
the NRC Research Press.
CISTI already provides free access for Canadians to the electronic versions of
the NRC Research Press journals and monographs. This access is supported by
funding from the Government of Canada through the Depository Services
Program, administered by Public Works and Government Services Canada.
However, CISTI relies on revenue from the sale of NRC Research Press
publications outside of Canada.  CISTI must be aware of and respond to trends
regarding Open Access and will need to develop a new funding model for its
publishing activities that will take these trends into account. Open Access
may result in reduced collection costs for libraries. However, costs related
to maintaining permanent storage and access may rise. As the trend to
institutional repositories becomes a standard practice, CISTI is positioned
to develop an institutional repository for NRC and may be called upon by the
government to provide broader access to R&D outputs of Canadians through a
national repository.
New challenges and opportunities created by the outcomes of the Open Access
movement will impact on CISTI's collection costs and policies and on how
CISTI provides access to STM information in the new paradigms.'Two of the
CISTI strategic goals push in the right direction, though without committing
the organization to OA:  'Goal 1: Provide universal, seamless, and permanent
access to information for Canadian research and innovation.  Goal 2: Enable
researchers and entrepreneurs to advance and exploit knowledge through
accelerated, innovative scientific communication.'