From: imgcif-l-bounces@iucr.org [mailto:imgcif-l-bounces@iucr.org] On
Behalf Of Harry Powell
Sent: 04 May 2007 10:46
To: The Crystallographic Binary File and its imgCIF application to image
data
Cc: s.parsons@ed.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [Imgcif-l] imgCIF Standard Axis definition

Hi folks

I'm more than a little concerned about putting the (any!) crystal
orientation matrix in the imgCIF/CBF (though for an mmCIF containing the
results of solution and refinement this should be included) - for most
users the imgCIF/CBF is part of their raw data, and they won't have
indexed the crystal and hence have no orientation matrix.  Even if the
orientation matrix is there, presumably some symmetry will have been
imposed on this (I'd usually expect at least crystal system
symmetry...), and this may well be in error. I spend quite a bit of time
pointing pointing out to (even experienced) crystalographers that they
have the wrong symmetry for their data processing...

Also, of course, there are multiple definitions of orientation matrices
(e.g. wavelength dependent and independent, UB style, Niggli...)

> [...]

> > Hopefully, the sample will have been mounted so that that mechanical

> > origin is bathed by the center of the beam and so that that origin
> > is within the sample, so I would proposed the following approach to
axis definition:

> >    1.  The origin of the axis system should, if possible, be defined

> > in terms of mechanically stable axes to be in the beam.  If the
> > sample goniometer or other sample positioner has two axes the
> > intersection which defines a unique point at which the sample should

> > be mounted to be bathed by the beam, that will be the origin of the
> > axis system.  If no such point is defined, then the midpoint of the
> > line of intersection between the sample and the center of the beam
> > will define the origin.  For this definition the sample positioning
> > system will be set at its initial reference position for the
experiment.

> >    2.  It the sample positioning system has a principal axis that
> > intersects the origin and which forms an angle of more than 22.5
> > degrees with the beam axis, the X-axis will point from the origin
> > specified above along the principal axis of the goniometer,
> >
> >    ... and then continue with the definitions as before using either

> > David's simpler approach or the more detailed one suggested on the
> > web site.
> >
> >    You are also right about the need for multiple orientation
matrices.
> > I think we need to add a GRAIN or SUBSAMPLE category to list the
> > grains and and then an extra _diffrn_orient_matrix.grain_id or
> > _diffrn_orient_matrix.subsample_id tag to separate the matrices for
> > the different grains.  Would you care to suggest the tags for the
> > GRAIN or SUBSAMPLE category itself?
> >
> >    Regards,
> >      Herbert
> >
> > At 12:47 AM +0200 5/4/07, Jon Wright wrote:
> >> Hi Herbert,

> >> A pedantic point, but the intersection of the goniometer axes would

> >> seem like a first choice of origin for ImageCIF. If there is only
> >> one axis then the intersection of that axis with the centre of the
> >> beam seems like a second choice. The finite sized sample would then
be the last resort.

> >> Not sure where they go in the current dictionaries; but the
> >> Bruker/Saint practice of refining "crystal translations" during
> >> integration are useful data to be recorded. These same numbers come

> >> up in grain mapping applications, which is a growing business.
> >> These definitions really matter and are usually interesting in
> >> terms of an agreed upon laboratory co-ordinate system.
> >>
> >> I see _diffrn_orient_matrix is in mmCIF (?) We often collect images

> >> where the sample is a collection of grains, each having their own
> >> orientation and centre of mass. How should multiple crystals be
> >> dealt with now, for example with non-merohedral twins?
> >>
> >> Best,
> >>

> >> Jon

> >>  > send your comments and suggestions to this list.

rectangular  coordinate system.  The origin is placed at the sample.

arbitrary and there is no reason why everyone need use the same SLCS.

> >>  >>

subset of experiments that do not involve an identifiable fixed

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, MRC Centre, Hills
Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QH