From: imgcif-l-bounces@iucr.org on behalf of Andy Howard
Sent: Wed 9/30/2009 8:13 AM
To: The Crystallographic Binary File and its imgCIF application to image data
Subject: Re: [Imgcif-l] CBF file templates

Hi folks,
> One template per beamline is probably, in reality, the way it would
> work. We would just make sure that they are all the same. Adding ????
> For the detector software to fill in sounds like good sense. Is this
> kind of thing supported? An alternative is to have some boiler plate
> which needs to be copied in, then work on getting the format for the
> detector produced bit the same. These are essentially the same problem.
>
> What's the consensus on the best approach? Does everyone support the use
> of templates?

I support templating, but compliance is likely to be an issue. When Jim
Pflugrath deliberately put in-your-face comments into the D*Trek
"comments" header slots that were designed to force beamlines to customize
their local implementations, seveal of the beamlines that used D*Trek
ignored those comments. So a lot of D*Trek-aquired data have comments
fields that contain language like "This is a meaningless header that
should be replaced by something with content".
/ Andrew J.Howard, Associate Professor of Biology and Physics \
| CSRRI, Biological, Chemical, & Physical Sciences Department |
| College of Science&Letters, Illinois Institute of Technology|
| 3101 South Dearborn Street, Chicago Illinois 60616 USA      |
| Co-director, IIT Masters in Health Physics program          |
| phone: 312-567-5881; fax: 312-567-3576; cell 773-368-5067   |
| e-mail: howard@iit.edu;  web: http://csrri.iit.edu/~howard/ |