Re: [Imgcif-l] Electron density map parameters

Herbert J. Bernstein wrote:
> How about
>
>    _array_structure_list_axis.fract_grid_divisions
>
> to specify the number of divisions into which the axis is
> intended to be divided?  Computationally this would simply
> imply the fract_displacement_increment as the reciprocal
> of fract_grid_divisions.
This sounds useful. One thing that can be confusing is the definition of
the unit cell versus the definition of the map. This is a distinction
that detectors don't have, but may be related to a multi-part detector
(i.e. a quad CCD). Does this fit into the current scheme somehow?

I also considered the idea of using axis vectors, etc., to define a grid
coordinate system, and then define axis.displacement in grid units. In
this case, displacement_increment is always one. Would that work?

> The "spec" does not say that "The map sampling is being done
> in the middle of each grid division".  That sentence is
> just an explanation of that particular example which has
> a value of 0.01 for _array_structure_list_axis.fract_displacement.
> You are free to pick any point in the cell to start placing
> your samples, but they have to be placed somewhere.  It is
> hard to contour a map when you are not sure where it is
> relative to the cell.
Oh, I see... the displacement indicates the offset to a sample point. In
the above sentence, "grid division" is indicating the grid of source
density, rather than the grid of sample points. So, it is a terminology
issue. Does the imgCIF group use the term grid to refer to pixels, and
not sample points?

> Fractional coordinates are inherently dimensionless, but
> the system is, of course, based unit cell vectors.
>
> The choice of symbolic symmetry ops versus matrices to give
> the symmetry of a map is up to the user, but it would seem more natural
> to use space group symbols or symbolic operations when working in
> fractional coordinates, and to use matrices and vectors when working
> in orthogonal coordinates.
Fractional coordinates actually are a nice fit to matrices and vectors.
Many crystallography programs store fractions symmetry operators a
integer matrices and fractional vectors. The rotation is a simple matrix
of -1,0,1, and the translation vector is in 1/24 fractional units. This
makes it easy to represent any space group with no rounding errors. It
also turns out to be fairly easy to parse standard symbolic operations
into this integer form.

It is interesting to note that CCP4 maps include a spacegroup definition
and also allow for an explicit symmetry operator list. The symm-op list
used to be common, but is almost never used now. So, it is probably
reasonable for electron density just to give a spacegroup name or number.

However, I am trying to think a bit more general. For example, there are
some quasi-crystal materials that have a symmetric diffraction pattern.
But, maybe something like this is to general for the current imgCIF plans.