Re: imageNCIF

	Andy is moving the imageNCIF forward very nicely.  When it comes
to the technical aspects of defining binary files I am definitely out of
my depth, so I will confine my remarks to those appropriate to my role as
chair of COMCIFS.

	Andy suggests that the new file be called CBF (Crystallographic
Binary File) and I find this an acceptable name, at least until we have a
clearer picture of how it fits into the larger scheme, at which point a
better name may suggest itself.

	I see no problem with COMCIFS taking responsibility for CBF.
This would eventually have to be cleared with the executive of the IUCr, but
that is not likely to be a problem once we have a clear proposal.

	The main goal that should be kept in mind when defining the
file structure is that of longevity and robustness.  The structure should
not, therefore, be tightly tied to present day systems and technology,
but should be defined in a way that is still likely to make sense in the
unforeseeable future and which allows for an open ended extension in the
future.

	I will monitor the proposals that are made and intervene if I see
places where there may be conflicts with cif in those parts that are
suppoosed to be cif compatible, or where I see proposals that are not
likely to be robust.  Otherwise I will follow the discussion with
interest to watch how the cbf develops.

			Best wishes

				David

Dr.I.D.Brown
Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research,
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
1-(905)-525-9140 ext 24710