Re: The quest for tentative approval.

> * Has anyone involved with CBF also had a look at NeXus?

We looked at, considered and discussed HDF-based formats such as NeXus at
the BNL CBF workshop.  There certainly is a lot to recommend HDF, but the
concensus of the meeting was that we needed something both simpler and
better as a community standard for the interchange of synchrotron data.
The result of those discussions was essentially the CBF/imgCIF format we
then implemented.  Certainly, if someone feels that the discussion needs
to be re-opened, because for salient technical or pragmatic issue was
missed, they should reopen it, but the answer to this question is:  yes,
many people connected with CBF looked at HDF-based formats.  If
neXus-CBF and CBF-neXus filter programs should be needed at some time, I
will be happy to write them.

> * How likely is it that synchrotron beamline stations are going to write
>   images as CBF?

That depends on when data collection packages provide the cability of
writing images as CBF and the wishes of the experimenters involved.

> * What about detector manufacturers?

That is certainly up to them, but I would suspect if the community showed
a serious interest in any particular format and there were no great
technical problems they would oblige us.

> * Is there a real impetus for implementing CBF?

In the abstract -- improving the ability to interchange synchrotron data,
better integration with CIF and mmCIF data.  In the real-world political
sense -- that depends on what happens next with data collection software
packages.

> * The IUCr warnings in the code I've downloaded include this bit:
>
>  * _________________________________________________________________  *
>  *                                                                    *
>  *  * 1 CIFs and STAR Files may be generated, stored or transmitted,  *
>  *    without permission or charge, provided their purpose is not     *
>  *    specifically for profit or commercial gain, and provided that   *
>                        *************************
>

>  so what would be the position if a dataset were to be collected for
>  someone for money? Would the "collector" need to get written permission
>  from IUCr for this? Might this not impede adoption of this as a standard?

Brian has answered this very clearly for the IUCr.  As one of the authors
of the code, I also assure you of our benign intentions.  I, for one, have
no intention of poking into what use people make of particular datasets
written with the API.  Speaking for myself, not for any institution, all
those notices are intended to help protect the community from the
confusion and misunderstandings which might result from non-standard
non-conforming CIFs or from some ambitious entrepreneur trying to capture
the "CIF market" by claiming to own the standard and renting it back to
all of us. (Don't laugh -- stranger things have happened).   We are trying
to work out less confusing wording which will achieve the desired result.

Regards,
  Herbert J. Bernstein

****                BERNSTEIN + SONS
*   *       INFORMATION SYSTEMS CONSULTANTS
****     P.O. BOX 177, BELLPORT, NY 11713-0177
*   * ***
**** *            Herbert J. Bernstein
  *   ***     yaya@bernstein-plus-sons.com
 ***     *
  *   *** 1-631-286-1339    FAX: 1-631-286-1999