[SA_scat] New Small-Angle X-Ray Scattering (SAXS) related weblog.

  • To: sa_scat@iucr.org
  • Subject: [SA_scat] New Small-Angle X-Ray Scattering (SAXS) related weblog.
  • From: Brian Pauw <brian@stack.nl>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 09:04:47 +0200
Dear All,

I hereby would like to announce the takeoff of a SAXS-related weblog,
focusing on small-angle X-ray scattering and tangential topics
thereof. It will be maintained at least for the duration of my Ph.D.
project (another 2.5 years), and input is always welcome. The website
is located at: http://www.lookingatnothing.com/Introduction.html

The emergence of the internet has opened many new paths for
communication. Whilst work-related weblogs have been around for a
while, it is only in recent times that the (quite conservative)
chemistry community has started noting down items of interest in such
weblogs. These weblogs serve as agglomerations of items of interest,
often other websites, ideas, opinions and article reviews. In other
words, such weblogs work as sounding boards for the extrovert
scientists.

My project focuses on the microstructural analysis of high-
performance polymer materials, such as Twaron and Kevlar. Due to the
many advantages of SAXS, I have employed that as my main technique.
At the moment, I'm working on adapting (where necessary) the methods
developed before the widespread availability of computing power, to
take advantage of exactly that power available to us today. In
addition to that, I am also going to employ many other techniques to
substantiate and elaborate on the SAXS results. So far, this approach
has resulted in a few items of interest, which have led me to the
creation of this website. For example, there are two (ray-traced)
movies available, schematically explaining the inner workings of a 1D
and 2D SAXS set-up, that can be used by the community for
illustrating the method.

Hopefully, I've captured your interest, and welcome you all onto the
website, and perhaps this initiative will initiate more such weblogs.

Yours sincerely,

Brian R. Pauw. (brian@stack.nl)